Install Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on External Hard Drive: Windows is Microsoft’s own operating system that can run on various different computers. The computers that run Windows are known as PC and they are used for various different purposes for e.g. home computers, gaming computers, workstations and others.
Usually the operating system of a computer is installed on a permanent storage that is connected to the computer all the time i.e. computer’s hard disk or SSD. But what if you want to install Windows on an external hard disk?
Well, it is very much possible and in this post we will tell you How to Install Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on External Hard Drive.
How to Install Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on External Hard Drive
The procedure will be common for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 as they all have the same installation procedure so make sure you read the full post before trying it.
Also, if you have any kind of doubt or questions, you can get them cleared in the comments section below this post. So, without any further ado, let us start.
Things you’re going to need in this procedure
- Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 ISO image – 32-bit or 64-bit – Your choice
- Win2USB freeware
- An external hard disk – duh!! 😉
Preparing the External Hard Disk
Before installing Windows on the external hard disk, we need to perform some steps in order to prepare the hard disk for installation.
- Make sure you take a backup of whatever there is on the external hard disk as we are going to format it and it will be completely empty.
- Connect your external hard disk to your PC via USB and then go to My computer.
- Right click on the external hard drive and choose Format.
- Format the drive to NTFS and make sure you delete everything inside the drive.
- After completing these steps you can move further.
Let the magic begin!
Here are the main steps to install Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on External Hard Drive. Make sure you have downloaded the required software and you have also prepared your external hard disk or else the process might not complete properly. So, skipping any step is not recommended.
- Connect the External hard disk to your PC via USB
- Make sure you have downloaded the Win2USB software and installed it. It is necessary. If not, go here and download it.
- Now start the Win2USB software and the you will see a screen like this below. Click the button next to the ISO text box.
- Choose the Windows ISO file that you have with you. It can be of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
- Now depending on the type of your ISO, you will have to choose the version of Windows that you want to install.
- Choose the version that you want to install and then just click the Next button.
- Now you have to choose the device on which you want to install Windows. Choose the external hard disk.
- Now Win2USB will ask you to format the selected device. Make sure you have selected the external hard disk and let Win2USB format the drive.
- This process might take a few minutes so wait patiently.
- Now you will be asked to choose the boot and system partition on the next screen.
- If you have partitioned your external hard disk already, then just choose one partition as boot and other as system.
- If you have not partitioned your external hard disk, then just choose the whole drive and it will be fine.
- Now just click the Next button and let Win2USB complete its job.
- It might take upto a few hours and it depends on the speed that your external hard drive possesses so you need to be patient.
- You will see the progress of installation in this window and just be patient while the Win2USB software does its job.
You can also check out: Top 10 Best Torrent Clients for Windows
Now if you followed the process properly, then you will have a perfect installation of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on your external hard disk.
In case you are facing any problems, just go back to the steps mentioned and make sure you did not skip any step as all of them are quite important.
If you still have any questions, then you can let us know in the comments section below.